Hong Kong’s standing as one of many world’s biggest cities is well-earned.
With an unmatched meals scene, legendary nightlife, and a jaw-dropping skyline, the town lures guests with an countless quantity of issues to do.
From full of life road markets and delightful parks to the towering skyscrapers that assist make the territory probably the most densely populated locations on the earth, Hong Kong is a real delight to go to.
But earlier than setting off to Hong Kong, there are some things you want to remember. In this put up, we’ll cowl every little thing that you must learn about touring to Hong Kong, together with:
- What are the prices for vacationers?
- Things to learn about tradition and etiquette
- What are the highest points of interest?
- How secure is it?
- Local meals and drinks
- How good is the WiFi?
- How lengthy are you able to keep?
Ready? Here are the highest 7 issues that you must know earlier than visiting Hong Kong:
Did … Hong Kong shouldn’t be technically a rustic. For many years it was a British colony and underneath their rule developed a powerful capitalist economic system. However, in 1997 British rule was transferred to China, making Hong Kong a particular administrative area (SAR) of China. Now, it’s ruled underneath the precept of “one country, two systems” that means that although they’re now technically a part of communist China, they will retain a lot of their political and financial autonomy.
1) Hong Kong Affordability
The forex in Hong Kong is the Hong Kong Dollar or HKD. The present change charge is $1 HKD = $0.13 USD and $1 USD =$7.81 HKD.
Here are the common prices for vacationers in USD:
- Average resort worth: One night time at a 3-star resort usually prices round $210, or round $275 for a 4-star resort.
- Luxury 5-star motels: Luxury 4-star motels common $450 per night time, and there are many choices, particularly if you wish to splurge. For occasion, the Ritz Carlton Hong Kong has customary rooms beginning at $635 and Premier Executive Suites with panoramic views of the harbor for $2,500 per night time.
- If you’re on a finances: Hong Kong has loads of hostels to select from, and vacationers can count on to pay round $20 per night time for a mattress in a dorm or between $35 – $65 for a non-public room.
The meals in Hong Kong is unbelievable, and there’s a lot to attempt, together with loads of reasonably priced choices.
- A 3-course meal at a mid-range restaurant for 2 prices round $65.
- For a low-cost meal at a cheap restaurant or from a road meals vendor, count on to pay round $8.
- A beer prices between $6-$7, whereas a cappuccino is about $5.
- Public transportation on the MTR is one of the best ways to get round in Hong Kong. Tourists can purchase journey passes that value round $8.50 per day and canopy limitless journey on the town’s metros, trams, and light-weight rails. If you don’t purchase the vacationer go, single journey tickets are primarily based on distance and vary between $0.90 and $3.
- Taxi fares begin at$3.20and value a further $2 per mile traveled. Uber is on the market and charges are akin to taxis.
- For journey between Hong Kong Island and Kowloon, vacationers can go for the long-lasting Star Ferry, which prices between $0.50 and $0.83 relying on if you go and which deck you select.
2) Culture And Etiquette In Hong Kong
Hong Kong’s tradition and traditions are a lot totally different than these discovered within the West. Make time to learn up on acceptable etiquette earlier than taking off to your trip.
Check this record earlier than your journey! Here are a few of the main Dos and Don’ts in Hong Kong.
- DON’T smoke in public – smoking is banned indoors and in public areas outside, together with parks, seashores, and public transportation.
- DO elevate your hand: When eating out and also you want one thing out of your waiter, elevate your hand and provides a wave to get their consideration.
- DON’T take the MTA throughout rush hour: Avoid the practice throughout the hours of 7 am-9:30 am and 5 pm-7 pm as that’s when they’re filled with commuters going to and from work.
- DO use your chopsticks accurately: Never use your chopsticks to level at somebody or one thing, and don’t ever put them upright in a bowl of rice, as it’s thought-about inappropriate. Additionally, don’t use your individual chopsticks to take meals from a communal platter, use those that got here with the dish.
- DON’T be alarmed: Restaurants are all the time busy and attempt to maximize house, so it is not uncommon to be seated with different diners when out at a restaurant.
- DO respect your elders: Show respect to anybody older than you – be sure you provide them a correct greeting, comply with their lead, and quit a seat for them on a busy practice.
3) Top Attractions in Hong Kong
Hong Kong is stuffed with unbelievable locations to discover. Here are just a few of the highest issues to see and do whereas visiting:
- Victoria Peak – No journey to Hong Kong is full and not using a go to to Victoria Peak, the best level on the island. Visitors can attain the highest by driving the 8-minute-long Peak Tram. The views from the highest are unbelievable.
- Temple Street Night Market – Best visited between 7 pm – 10 pm; guests ought to arrive hungry at this epic market. You’ll discover incredible road meals in addition to low-cost garments and souvenirs.
- Hong Kong Museum of History – A museum devoted to telling the story of Hong Kong with many worthwhile reveals. The Hong Kong Museum of History is a incredible approach to be taught extra in regards to the territory’s lengthy and fascinating previous.
4) How Safe Is It For Tourists?
As with many Asian cities, Hong Kong may be very secure for vacationers. However, there are nonetheless some issues that vacationers ought to take into account to remain secure throughout their go to:
- Beware of thieves: pickpocketing and scams are the commonest crimes vacationers will encounter, however they’re uncommon. Take further warning in busy areas, vacationer spots, and on public transportation.
- Avoid protests: Occasionally there are political protests that happen all through Hong Kong– if you happen to encounter one whereas visiting it’s not suggested to affix in.
- Know tips on how to name for assist: If you or somebody you might be with want emergency help name 999.
- DO get journey insurance coverage: Travel insurance may help in well being emergencies in addition to with overlaying the prices of any journey mishaps throughout your Hong Kong journey. For 5 nice choices, read more here.
5) Local Eats And Drinks
One of the most effective elements of journey is testing the native delicacies, and Hong Kong is a fantastic place to try new foods. Don’t let your self depart with out making an attempt no less than one of many following:
- Fish balls – A well-liked snack the place fish meat is shaped into balls and stewed
- Pineapple bun- a comfortable, candy bun with a crunchy sugar topping that cracks whereas being cooked and resembles the sample of a pineapple.
- Cha siu baau – comfortable white buns which are filled with barbecued pork and sauce earlier than being steamed
- Chicken toes – extra scrumptious than it sounds, rooster toes are deep fried and stewed in a black bean sauce
- Milk tea- a candy, creamy drink made with Ceylon black tea and condensed milk, served sizzling or chilly
- Red bean ice – a refreshing summer time drink made with sweetened pink beans, evaporated milk, vanilla ice cream, and crushed ice
- Beer – probably the most generally drank beers in Hong Kong are San Miguel and Tsingtao
6) How’s the WiFi?
Using Ookla, an web velocity testing service, the common web speeds in Hong Kong for April 2023 have been 52.61mbps obtain and 11.87mbps add.
7) How Long Can I Stay?
U.S. Citizens can journey to Hong Kong with no need a visa so long as they depart inside 90 days. Passports should be legitimate for no less than one month past the date of your supposed departure and should include no less than one clean web page.
Traveler Alert: Don’t Forget Travel Insurance For Your Next Trip!
↓ Join Our Community ↓
The Travel Off Path Community FB group has all the newest reopening information, conversations, and Q&A’s occurring every day!
SUBSCRIBE TO OUR LATEST POSTS
Enter your e-mail deal with to subscribe to Travel Off Path’s newest breaking journey information, straight to your inbox.
This article initially appeared on TravelOffPath.com